Why students do not study Russian anymore

Udut, Kenneth kenneth.udut at SPCORP.COM
Tue Jun 6 15:32:26 UTC 2000

Love of languages and complexity and patterns
for one thing - another hook may be religious.

Only reason I say religious, is that
I know from online, three Readers in the US in the
Russian Orthodox Church that are black.

One, Reader Michael Bishop, is always being
chided by his friends, not only for his choice
of religion, but also, "Why are you learning
Russian?  That's a white man's language!"

There *could* be an advertising campaign
(but one would have to be careful in wording
and any construed implications) - that points
out that you *don't* have to study only your
own cultural background...  perhaps
something that emphasises "bucking the trend".

[much in the same way men will take women's
studies]

-Kenneth