Odp: academia

Thomas Anessi tanessi at IFA.AMU.EDU.PL
Fri Jun 9 16:45:55 UTC 2000

>How about the ecstasy about the new world's descovery: "Student-centered
> >(good guys) as opposed to teacher-centered education" ( the latter is for
> >bad guys - to be teacher-centered is almost like commiting a crime).
> >
> >"There is a paradigm shift from teacher-controlled to student-controlled,
> >self-paced learning". Teacher is a peer, a friend, a consultant. A
catalyst.
> >I know, I am being "politically incorrect". But I believe there is no
such
> >thing as "student-centered" or "teacher-centered" teaching.
>
> >There is poor teaching and there is good teaching.

the "politically correct"
(I suppose) notion of "student centred" learning.  In teaching in both the
U.S. and Poland, I have
found that shifting responsibility from the teacher to the student in the
use of a foreign language in
class is very useful. By lessening the teacher's "control" over the course
of particular classroom acticvites,
one tends to create a more active and dynamic classroom atmosphere.  What
has been done in ESL/EFL
in communicative learning offers excellent examples of how the role of the
teacher can be effectively shifted
toward a support role in many classroom situations.
I feel that all types of instruction have their place, depending on the
student, instructor, goal, etc.
What worries me, though, are attacks on very general principles, such as
"student-oriented" or "teacher-oriented",
especially when replaced by euphemistic expressions like "good teaching".  I
did indeed appreciate the sheer
brilliance displayed by some of the more old-fashioned or traditionalist
professors I had in my days as a student,
but I did tend to resent being "fed" knowledge that I could find in a book
myself.  I know this is probably a poor
example of "teacher-centredness," but my point is that if 30 thinking human
beings are in a room together exploring an issue,
the fewer people involved in steering the course of activities, the more
likely most are not fully engaged.
For me, "poor teaching" is whatever fails to engage the intellectual
facilities of the students, no matter what types of teaching
are involved.

thomas anessi
tanessi at ifa.amu.edu.pl
Uniwersytet im. Adama Mickiewicza