Russian rap and how to get students to study Russian

Kat Tancock tancockk at UVIC.CA
Sat Jun 10 17:03:56 UTC 2000

Oh, you're so right! Cheesy pop music works great too, and it's great for
lower levels, because the vocab terms aren't too complex. I think it would
be fun to make a tape of Russian music etc. (poetry could even be included)
a compulsory part of a course, like a textbook. By the end of the class the
goal would be to have made it through the whole tape (hopefully memorizing
the whole thing as well).

Another good thing about music is students don't get as bored with it when
it is listened to repeatedly. I have to say, I read Stantsionnyj Smotritel'
so many times through my degree, in at least three variants, that I can
barely stand the story now! (Sorry, Pushkin). Another thing we read a lot
was Chekhov's "comedies" - which weren't nearly as funny when it took you
ten times as long to get through the story than he intended.

Kat