JMU Russian program

Jill Hutchens hutchejd at JMU.EDU
Wed Mar 5 20:52:58 UTC 2003

I just wanted to thank everyone at SEELANGS for their kind responses. It is
great to see such a healthy support network for Slavic Languages like this
one. It appears that I was a bit overzealous in my remarks in my first
posting. The Russian program here at JMU is not actually closing--yet
(although the Translation one is). Russian will not be offered as a major,
and will only be a two-year program like Japanese. While this is not as bad
as the program closing completely, it is a step in the wrong direction and
will probably lead to its eventual closure (with the way this
administration is going)! I am sorry for my mistake, but obviously it is
still a worthwhile cause! Thanks again for all the responses, I will show
your information to my professor, and hopefully I can prepare some kind of
report, and possibly apply your suggestions to our efforts to save
Translation also. Jill Hutchens