Enrollments

Matthew Herrington Matt81GA at AOL.COM
Fri Mar 7 05:59:17 UTC 2003

In a message dated 07.03.2003 0:51:44 Eastern Standard Time,
paulbg at PBG-TRANSLATIONS.COM writes:

> When I was in school, foreign languages, especially those with funny
> letters, were regarded as awfully difficult, whereas UG English or Psych
> were seen as guts ("I'm getting a BS in Psych, yuk-yuk"). Is that still
> true?
>
> If it is, a prospective student would see Russian as more work for the
> same benefits.

That may be true a good portion of the time, but I think most ugrads in
Psych. and English are there because they think that those majors are the
most practical or useful (don't ask me why) outside of hard science or
business.  I recall hearing a studio art professor telling me last year about
a very talented student who she had been trying to recruit.  The girl was
reluctant to switch to studio art from psych. because she wouldn't be able to
do anything with that degree...as if being one of 500 graduating psych majors
was going to somehow land her a great job.

MH