Did Stalin really say so?

Lauren Leighton laurengl at PTWI.NET
Mon Mar 10 22:23:17 UTC 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: Slavic & East European Languages and Literature list
[mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU]On Behalf Of Mitsu Numano
Sent: Monday, March 10, 2003 10:23 AM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: [SEELANGS] Did Stalin really say so?

Dear Colleagues,
Could anybody tell me whether it is right to attribute the saying gA
single death is a tragedy, a million deaths

Mitsuyoshi Numano
Dept. of Slavic Languages and Literatures
The University of Tokyo

The quote is from Shakespeare. Sorry, I don't remember which play. I seem to
recall that Dostoyevsky either used it in Crime and Punishment, or in
reference to the novel. In any case, it is an ideal quote for use in
lectures or discussion of the novel. The quote has been applied to Stalin,
and of course to Hitler. Perhaps Nietsche used it?