learning Russian independently

Rebecca Matveyev rebecca.e.matveyev at LAWRENCE.EDU
Tue Mar 11 19:52:11 UTC 2003

I am posting this message from someone who does not subscribe to
SEELANGS.  If anyone would like to make any suggestions, please write
directly to him at  mpickel at maine.rr.com

Thank you,
Rebecca

I am a middle-aged man, who is trying to learn Russian through the use
of audio lessons and commercial material.  After of year of this, I have
obtained some good basic grammar, pronunciation and vocabulary skills.
Unfortunately, I don't have the opportunity to take advantage of formal
classroom instruction.  While I know that learning a language (any
language) independently is a real challenge, learning a language as
complex as Russian is madness.  But, I've had a desire to do so since my
teenage years and now have embarked on this endeavor.  (I also
appreciate the fact that my memory for language recall isn't what it
used to be!)

1) Could you suggest any materials, textbooks, audio courses, etc. which
you may have knowledge of and consider a good source of learning of
Russian?

2) In about another year, I'd like to attend an "immersion" program in
Moscow.  Do you have any personal knowledge of such programs (of
necessity, I'm speaking of short-term, a month or less).  There are a
lot of such programs advertised on the Internet, but I'd like to know
something about them before I sign up.

I sincerely appreciate any thoughts or suggestions you might have.

Michael Pickel
Falmouth, Maine
mpickel at maine.rr.com

--