SEELANGS Digest - 16 Mar 2003 to 17 Mar 2003 (#2003-79)

Leaver at AOL.COM Leaver at AOL.COM
Tue Mar 18 05:24:55 UTC 2003

Hello,

I would like to bring SEELANGERS' attention to a unique conference being held
at the Monterey Institute of International Studies on May 10. The conference
is devoted to the topic of reaching (and teaching for) near-native
proficiency in foreign languages. The keynote speaker is a quadrilingual
astronaut. A roundtable and discussion groups round out the day. Speakers and
discussion group chairs are those who have achieved near-native proficiency
(Level 4-4+ on the ILR scale, Distinguished on the ACTFL scale) in one or
more languages or teach it. Preregistration is required as attendance is
limited to 250. More information can be found at <A HREF="www.distinguishedlanguagecenters.org">
www.distinguishedlanguagecenters.org</A> (click on the Symposium button on the
left).

More information can also be obtained from me or from Dr. Jaiying Howard,
Director of the Distinguished Language Center-Asian Program at Monterey
Institute of International Studies (jhoward at miis.edu).

Betty Lou Leaver