Role of Language in Higher Education

Bryon bryon at online.ru
Tue Apr 13 01:11:59 UTC 2004

*** Please reply off-line to this message. ***

My name is Bryon MacWilliams, and I am the Russia/CIS correspondent for
the U.S. weekly newspaper, The Chronicle of Higher Education.
(http://chronicle.com) I am currently reporting on the role of language
in higher education in each of the former Soviet republics. I thought
SEELANGERs might be able to help.

Generally I've been focusing on what's been happening in the republics
since the early 90s -- the transitions away from/toward Russian, the
reasons behind them, and the resulting difficulties/controversies. I'm
also interested in learning about Soviet language policies in higher
education, and how they differed -- in practice, if not in law -- from
republic to republic.

I'd appreciate hearing from scholars as well as those who lived through
(are living through) these changes. Please reply off-line to
bryon at online.ru .

Thanks,  Bryon