Washington Post: For Russian Women, Whiff of the Good Life

Thu Apr 29 16:57:47 UTC 2004

Michael Denner quoted:

> For Russian Women, Whiff of the Good Life
> $5 Billion Cosmetics Industry Entices Consumers With 'Small Joys' of
> Luxury
> By Susan B. Glasser
> Washington Post Foreign Service
> Thursday, April 29, 2004; Page A19

A fascinating article, thank you. Just one question...

> MOSCOW -- Galina Vladimirova is a believer in what she calls "the
> Russian cult of makeup." Tucked neatly inside her purse one recent day
> were her latest acquisitions of lipstick and eye shadow, her first
> Armani purchases. They were more than twice as expensive as any makeup
> she had ever bought, even for a woman who spends up to $150 a month on
> cosmetics.
> "It makes me happy every day to know they are there," she said. "It's an
> accessible part of the good life."

We often see rather mediocre or even wrong translations in the news
media, and this looks like one. Does anyone else think "accessible" is
supposed to be "dostupnaya (chast, storona)," and that it might be
better rendered as "affordable"?

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com