Russian program at University of Alabama needs help

Benjamin Rifkin brifkin at WISC.EDU
Mon Feb 16 16:09:57 UTC 2004

I want to assure all SEELANGers that I will be writing a letter in my
capacity as President of AATSEEL.

- Ben Rifkin

On Feb 16, 2004, at 9:59 AM, Andrew M. Drozd wrote:

> Dear SEELangers:
>      I am writing to the entire list because the Russian program at the
> University of Alabama is coming under some very serious pressure from
> the administration and I could use some help in saving it. First, let
> me
> provide some background.
>       The program has been struggling with just two full-time people
> since the retirement of Ed Frost in 2001. The administration declined
> replace his position. Now the program has been targeted for further
> reduction. The College of Arts and Sciences has decided to cut the
> position of the instructor of Russian. This will leave me as the only
> full-time person. In addition, A&S has also decided that it does not
> want to preserve the major in Russian and will not file a waiver with
> the Alabama Commission on Higher Education (ACHE). ACHE has mandated
> that all programs in the state must graduate 7.5 majors per year or be
> declared non-viable. In the last three-year period under review, we did
> not have the required 23 majors. The process does allow for the filing
> of waivers, but if the university does not file the waiver, ACHE will
> automatically take away the major in Russian. I may be able to continue
> with a minor in Russian, but that is not clear at this point.
>    I have met several times with administrators regarding the program.
> I have met more than once with the associate dean for Humanities, once
> with the dean of A&S and once with the vice-president/provost. I
> thought
> I had made some headway in meeting with the latter. She seemed to
> receive my arguments quite well and even suggested that I meet with the
> university president. However, after a week she e-mailed me to say that
> interest was just too low. In addition, the president's office called
> cancel the meeting I had set up with him.
>   There are many problems with the way in which this decision has been
> made. First, there have been multiple violations of procedure and there
> is evidence of conflict of interest. To begin with, we are currently
> without a chair and the associate dean for the humanities of A&S is
> functioning as our acting chair. This results in a clear conflict of
> interest and leaves the department without any effective
> representation.
> In making the decision to cut the position of instructor of Russian
> (and
> also one instructor position for Chinese), the acting chair acted
> unilaterally without any faculty input. When advised by the Executive
> Council of our department that he must bring this before the faculty,
> he
> refused to do so. These actions not only violate the UA Faculty
> Handbook
> but also the governance document for our department. I have already
> reported the matter to our Faculty Senate and our department is in the
> [...]
Benjamin Rifkin
Professor of Slavic Languages, UW-Madison
1432 Van Hise Hall, 1220 Linden Drive
Madison, WI 53706 USA
Voice (608) 262-1623; Fax (608) 265-2814
http://polyglot.lss.wisc.edu/slavic