Toasts

Marina Rojavin mrojavin at TEMPLE.EDU
Sat Feb 28 00:25:04 UTC 2004

Bryon,

"Za Vashe/nashe/etc. zdorov'e" is absolutely correct. It's
true that it is used together with pronouns to make a toast
not "za zdorov'e" (whose?). It's also true that "na zdorov'e"
is "you are welcome", especially after a meal. Actually, when
toasting, people say "budem zdorovy" or "bud'(te) zdorov(y).

Marina Rojavin.

What, then, is factually correct? I, too, would be interested
to know. I've been living in Russia continuously since 1996,
and I've had many opportunities to listen to, and make,
toasts. "Na" is almost always used -- even if, as you say,
it's wrong to do so. I've never once heard "za" used without
a pronoun.

Thanks,  Bryon
 ----- Original Message -----
 From: Alina Israeli
 To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
 Sent: Saturday, February 28, 2004 1:50 AM
 Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Toasts

 >I've yet to find a consensus, a hard and fast rule, on when
to use one or
 >the other... even after eight years of rigorous research.
(Ahem!)
 >"Na" is definitely the most common of the two, and is,
indeed, used as a
 >toast.

 Only in Polish, not in Russian.

 >The explanation that makes the most sense, to me, is
that "na" is
 >preferable when the toast is more general, when no one in
particular is
 >being addressed. In this way it's kind of like "Cheers!"
But "za" is used
 >when someone wants to be more specific, to toast to the
health of someone
 >in particular. That's why "za" is always (in my experience)
followed by a
 >pronoun (such as "Vashe/vashe " or "nashe"), as in, "Za
vashe zdorov'e."

 In may make sense but it is all wrong. Factually wrong.

Marina Rojavin, Ph.D.
College of Liberal Arts, Temple University
Department of French, Italian, German, and Slavic Languages
Anderson Hall, Rm. 531
Phone: (215) 204-6986
http://astro.temple.edu/~mrojavin/