Pronouncing #mC

Michael Denner mdenner at STETSON.EDU
Mon Nov 21 17:08:37 UTC 2005

You can hear a professional диктор (the actor D. N. Zhuravlev) read the poem here:
http://max.mmlc.northwestern.edu/~mdenner/Demo/audiofiles/New%20Audio/chudnoe_mgnovenie.mp3

I have to agree with Alina -- the диктор (in any case) manages to hit the -г- just fine, with no nasalizing, while also realizing fully the м- and -н-. Sitting here, trying to do it myself though proves pretty tough.

mad

(Ж)(Ж)(Ж)(Ж)(Ж)(Ж)(Ж)(Ж)(Ж)(Ж)
   Dr. Michael A. Denner
   Editor, Tolstoy Studies Journal
   Director, University Honors Program

   Contact Information:
   Russian Studies Program
   Stetson University
   Campus Box 8361
   DeLand, FL 32720-3756
   386.822.7381 (department)
   386.822.7265 (direct line)
   386.822.7380 (fax)
   www.stetson.edu/~mdenner

-----Original Message-----
From: Slavic & East European Languages and Literature list [mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU] On Behalf Of Frank Y. Gladney
Sent: Sunday, November 20, 2005 1:26 PM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: [SEELANGS] Pronouncing #mC

In the first line of Pushkin's familiar lyric, _Ia pomniu chudnoe
mgnoven'e_, the realized accents are _pom_, _chud_, and _ven_.
Possible disagreement over final consonants aside, could someone
please tell me how the three unaccented syllables (if indeed it's just
three) _-noe mgno-_ are pronounced in actual recitation?

Frank Y. Gladney