Fwd: BBC News on foreign students in Russia

Deborah Hoffman lino59 at AMERITECH.NET
Wed Nov 30 15:44:32 UTC 2005

I had a good amount of success in '91 with buying
local clothes, putting a scarf over my head and not
speaking English in public - though admittedly my
concern at the time was more at avoiding muggers,
black marketeers,exorbitant prices on the Arbat, and
people trying to sell me lacquer boxes :-).  Have the
standards  of how one "stands out" changed in the
intervening 15 years?  Assuming one has the random
luck of being pale enough to pull this off.