Great Czech Television Resource; anything comparable for other Slavic Languages?

Steven Clancy sclancy at UCHICAGO.EDU
Wed Nov 30 20:17:39 UTC 2005

Dear SEELANGers,

I wanted to let everyone know about the truly excellent archived
television resources of CT1 available on the web. I've been using
this site in my Czech classes this quarter and it is simply the best
quality streaming web video I've seen, period. It's equal to what you
see for downloadable movie trailers. The only drawback is that you
can only watch the content as live streaming video over Real Player
or Windows Media Player, which makes it difficult to pause and rewind
easily or to go to a specific segment (but it's not impossible).

http://www.czech-tv.cz/vysilani/

The site features a full archive of around 67(!) television shows for
the past three months, featuring everything from game shows to
fishing programs to cooking shows to shows for the hearing impaired
with sign language and subtitles. I've particularly found the David
Letterman/Jay Leno clone talk show, Uvolněte se, prosím, to be very
useful and also a game show, A-Z Kvíz (for grown ups) and A-Z Kvíz
Junior (for kids; and yes, we usually watch the kid version). There
are so many shows available that we haven't managed to even check out
all the options this quarter. The talk show is also great for seeing
all kinds of spoken Czech varieties as well as Slovak (one we watched
today was the Prague-speaking Czech host interviewing a Slovak TV
personality; we've also seen some Moravian as well).

Does anyone know of any other comparable sites for other Slavic
languages, particularly Russian, Polish, BCS? Again, this is very
high quality video in great quantity as well, all available free and
on demand. I've not seen anything like it elsewhere, but hopefully
this is the wave of the future for great resources for language
teaching.

Enjoy,

Steven

Steven Clancy
Senior Lecturer in Russian, Slavic, and 2nd-Language Acquisition
Academic Director, U of C Language Resource Center
Director, Slavic Language Program

University of Chicago
Department of Slavic Languages & Literatures