copyright permission for prints in the Hermitage Collection

Janice Pilch pilch at UIUC.EDU
Fri Jan 6 02:47:32 UTC 2006

Dear Andrew,

If the woodblock prints were previously published anywhere
before 1923, the images of them are likely in the public
domain in the U.S. Even if they were published later, or in
some cases if they were never published, they might be in the
public domain in the U.S. Is your colleague intending to
publish them in the U.S.?

If you would like to send me more details, it's possible that
some time and trouble can be saved by determining that
permissions are not necessary. A few of us on the the AAASS
B&D Subcommittee on Copyright Issues have considerable
experience assessing copyright in situations like this, and
will be happy to lend some informal, non-legal, but helpful
advice. I don't know about the correct contact person at the
Hermitage Rights and Reproductions Office, which just lists
contact info as Tel. (812) 710-95-12 and Fax (812) 710-95-04.

Best regards,

Janice Pilch