National Security Language Initiative

NewsNet newsnet at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Wed Jan 11 14:55:14 UTC 2006

I'm surprised SEELANGers are not discussing the new National Security
Language Initiative, especially that after all one of the languages
mentioned as "critical" was Russian. Here's more information:

http://www.state.gov/g/rls/rm/2005/58737.htm
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/06/politics/06language.html?emc=eta1
http://www.actfl.org/i4a/pages/Index.cfm?pageID=4249

Also, yesterday's NPR On Point show devoted one hour to this topic.
http://www.onpointradio.org/shows/2006/01/20060110_b_main.asp

Will all of it mean higher enrollments in Russian language courses and the
resurrection of the regional studies? I'd be curious to hear what this
community has to say about that.

Jolanta

Jolanta M. Davis
NewsNet Editor and Publications Coordinator
American Association for the Advancement of Slavic Studies (AAASS)
8 Story Street
Cambridge, MA 02138
tel.: 617-495-0679
fax: 617-495-0680