A Chinese-English-Russian Question

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere darancourlaferriere at COMCAST.NET
Sun Jan 15 19:31:22 UTC 2006

15 Jan 06

Dear Michael,
Thanks, that is a good suggestion, but I do not recall the Boddes
dealing with what Tolstoy called "Mi-ti" when I read that book (but I
could be wrong).  I the meantime, I have received several messages on
this subject and I am pretty well convinced that the correct answer is:

> Mo Di (no hyphen please!) (468-376 BC). It would be quite logical for
> Tolstoy to be interested in his ideas, which included "non-aggression"
> and "universal brotherly love".

I understand that "Mo-tzu" and "Mo Ti" have also been utilized to render
this name in English.  Apparently "Mo Di" is the now proper rendition,
just as Taoism is now Daoism.  I do wish I knew more about Chinese.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to answering my question!

Daniel RL