Help save Slavic studies in Israel!

Yuri Leving leving at GWU.EDU
Mon Jan 16 18:11:19 UTC 2006

Very grieving news from the Israeli Slavic scholar… It is especially
shameful regarding the fact that there are over one million Russian
native speakers in Israel (every fifth in this country speaks Russian as
their native!) and up to this date the Hebrew University was the only
university with the Russian department in the Middle East.

As alumni of the Hebrew University, I believe that this will be a
critical strategic mistake and a hurtful blow to Israeli academia. The
department was initiated by non other than Sir Isaiah Berlin of the
Oxford University in the late 1960s, and since then it gathered the
leading Slavic scholars. Dr. Helena Tolstoy modestly passes over in
silence that she is the granddaughter of Alexei Tolstoy and the writer
Tatiana Tolstoy’s sister, a brilliant scholar and prosaic herself;
Professor Roman Timenchik is the world-famous authority on the Russian
Silver Age; Dr. Michael Weisskopf is the author of numerous books among
them on Gogol and Stalin, and there are many others.

The political instability in this region and constant budget cuts put
the Slavic studies to the bottom of the list of priorities. We need to
show our solidarity with Israeli scholars as it can happen to any Slavic
department – we are strong when we are together.

I am going to send a few lines in support of Tolstoy’s outcry to
Professors Magidor [hupres at cc.huji.ac.il] and John Gager
[gager at Princeton.EDU].

Yuri Leving
Yuri Leving, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Russian
Department of Romance, German and Slavic Languages & Literatures
Phillips Hall 509
801 22nd St., NW
The George Washington University
Washington, DC 20052