pronunciation question about Russian

Katherine Crosswhite crosswhi at RICE.EDU
Tue Jan 17 18:44:21 UTC 2006

Dear Wayles,

Thanks for your response.  That is an interesting fact to know about.

The answer to your question is that this is still somewhat up in the
air.  There is evidence on both sides.  All descriptions of CSR written
by native-speaker phoneticians working inside Russia say that the
neutralization is complete. Some also present formant measurements that
seem to confirm that.  I've also looked at formant values for several
native speakers, and these vowels do seem to be acoustically [i] (or
actually, [I] or something like that).  However, there is at least one
formant measurement study (by Jaye Padgett of UC Santa Cruz and Marija
Tabain of Macquarie University in Sydney) that found that although
unstressed /e/ (or /a/ or /o/) may reduce to an [I] sound, it is not
exactly identical to the [I] sound that you get from unstressed
underlying /i/.  Furthermore, the differences they found were quite
miniscule, so the fact that you've had this experience with your
students is quite striking.  One thing I am curious about is the
distribution of this phenomenon.  Padgett and Tabain were working with
native speakers from Australia.  Do your students typically grow up in
Russia then come to the US for college, or have they spent a lot of time
is US emigre communities when young?  Are they typically from
Moscow/Petersburg or other places?  Enquiring minds...

Best,

K.