Chekhov and Nabokov

Sergey Karpukhin sak5w at VIRGINIA.EDU
Tue Jan 24 02:24:59 UTC 2006

Dear all,

A little follow-up on Elena Osinskaya's and Vladimir Shatsev's earlier
messages.

Maxim D. Shrayer's PhD dissertation was published as a book both in English
(The World of Nabokov's Stories, U of Texas Press, 1999) and in Russian
("Набоков: темы и вариации", СПб: Академический проект, 2000).

In "Другие берега", Nabokov writes that someone gave them a grandson or a
great-grandson of Chekhov's Brom and Khina sometime after 1915 and that the
dog followed his family into exile. Nabokov adds parenthetically that this
dachshund was one of the few links between him and the Russian classics.
(See the Symposium edition, pp. 168-69, and Maria Malikova's commentary on
p. 682).

Best,
Sergey Karpukhin