Discussion about Babel's serpents

David Powelstock pstock at BRANDEIS.EDU
Sun Jan 29 19:07:08 UTC 2006

I'm sure that Robert Mann is correct about the "zmeiki," with respect to the figurative overtones of the passage. But Babel' is also describing a concrete phenomenon: young, ambitious, probably vampish (and possibly treacherous) female singers in Odessa. And it seems fairly likely that the use of zmeiki here is Babel's own metaphor, quite apt and decodable from context, rather than an idiom or slang. However, there is also the possibility that using zmeika for a certain kind of woman is slang that existed once but has since been lost, or never quite caught on.

As a translator myself, I would, after due diligence in researching attested uses of zmeiki in this sense, treat it as Babel''s own figure and invent something suitably brilliant and evocative in English.

Cheers,
David

David Powelstock
Asst. Prof. of Russian & East European Literatures
Chair, Program in Russian & East European Studies
Brandeis University
GREA, MS 024
Waltham, MA  02454-9110
781.736.3347 (Office)