Informal poll

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Tue Apr 24 08:55:52 UTC 2007

Now that we are allowed to consult dictionaries, I note that Dal' gives
sarych s.v. saryga: khishchnaia ptitsa kaniuk, korshun, Buteo; Vasmer
discusses its Turkic origin, and my rarely consulted H.I. Jorgensen,
Nomina avium europaearum (Copenhagen, 1958) gives sarych for Buteo buteo
and malyi sarych (also ryzhii sarych) for Buteo vulpinus, and sarych
stepnoi, kurgannik for Buteo rufinus. Personally I don't know a hawk
from a handsaw.
Will Ryan