Reporting income tax with study abroad program scholarships

Dustin Hosseini iamlearningenglish at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jun 17 08:05:14 UTC 2007

Candice,

I could be wrong, but I believe you don't have to report those kind of
expenses, since they are for education.  Room and board abroad are
inherently apart of the program since you are studying outside of your own
country; these are necessities, and therefore can be counted towards an
"education" label on your tax return.

Actually, this seems like a "gray area" in terms of what's required and
what's not.  The funds are government provided for education; they were not
earned as income or profit, nor are they a gift.

If you're really concerned, call the IRS and be prepared to sit on the line
for a bit.  Otherwise, I would not worry and assume it's a non-taxable
educational grant – for all parts of the program.

When I was a college student, I generally counted all grants as non-taxable,
since they were provided by the federal government.  It doesn't make sense
for the government to tax grants that it gives to people for educational
purposes.

Dustin