Study abroad in Lithuania

Jules Levin ameliede at EARTHLINK.NET
Sun Dec 4 08:57:46 UTC 2011

On 12/3/2011 1:51 PM, Francoise Rosset wrote:
> Dear SEELANGers:
>
> First, my thanks to the colleagues who responded to my question about
> medical обращаемость.
>
> Second, I'm back with another completely different query.
>
> One of our students, a sophomore in second-year Russian, is
> considering study abroad, both in Russia and in Lithuania (her
> background is part Lithuanian, though she doesn't speak any.)
> We've been looking through various, decent-looking websites,
> and we're going to involve our Global Ed office -- but neither
> Global Ed nor my student nor I have any experience. Someone
> here might.
>
> Any suggestions or recommendations would be immensely useful.
>
> Has anyone on the list studied in Lithuania or sent an undergrad
> to study there? She would study language and some form of area
> studies, and is the latter possible with no Lithuanian?
Well, I was a Fulbright Lecturer at Vilnius State University in 1981 for
4 months--one of the first Americans there, and returned 3 times for
several weeks in 89, 91, and 99.  I certainly did studying there, but I
would NOT recommend going there to study without some Lithuanian.  The
younger generation is not studying Russian; they study English and other
Euro languages.  While most Lithuanians over 40 can still understand
Russian, they certainly are not friendly with those who expect them to
communicate in that language.  Lithuanian is a beautiful fascinating
language, and anyone who can learn functional Russian can certainly
learn enough Lithuanian to satisfy native speakers that one has good
will.  Frankly I do not understand why someone would commit a good chunk
of their life to study in a foreign country and not want to learn the
language of that country.
Jules Levin
Los Angeles