KRYTYKA Newsletter: "Voice of America," Current & Future Projects

Oleh Kotsyuba (Harvard Univ) kotsyuba at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Tue Nov 22 19:02:22 UTC 2011

Dear Friends,

In 2012, the Ukrainian Journal and Publishing House KRYTYKA is
celebrating its 15th anniversary and despite the current difficult
financial situation is energetically working to increase awareness of
our high-quality publications.

Please find below our latest PR effort: Prof. Grabowicz's
participation in the "Chas-Time" news edition of the Ukrainian service
of "Voice of America." "Chas-Time" is broadcasted by the "P'yatyi
kanal" in Ukraine in the prime-time slot at 9.40 pm every evening.

http://www.voanews.com/ukrainian/news/ukraine/Grabovych-11-18-2011-134132958.html

Our small team of volunteers in the US and our staff in Ukraine are
currently working on a new, highly interactive, state of the art web
platform that will bring together KRYTYKA archives from past years as
well as current issues of the journal, create an intellectual
community with blogs and comments, a discussion forum, book store,
media content (audio and video podcasts), and a separate segment –
"Krytyka Online" – with more concise analyses of the current situation
in Ukraine written in non-academic language and geared towards a
younger audience.

Another big and challenging undertaking is the creation of an English
language version of the web site, which will offer to the
international community and to non-Ukrainian speaking members of our
diaspora a competitive and high-quality source of information and
analysis on Ukraine. Given the present situation there, quality and
reliable material for the international journalists and media is
sorely needed. With its track record of publications of the highest
quality in Ukraine and the region, KRYTYKA is best suited for this task.

Besides publishing a journal, KRYTYKA is also a leading publishing
house in Ukraine. A number of recent books deserve your attention.
Particularly, studies by Serhii Plokhy, Yaroslav Hrytsak, Maria
Mayerchyk, Andrii Portnov, Karel Berkhoff, Volodymyr Kravchenko,
Volodymyr Yermolenko, essays by Vasyl Makhno and Andrzej Chcjuk, and
others. Please see a full list here: http://krytyka.com/cms/front_content.php?idcat=44&lang=1

It is important to stress that KRYTYKA is doing all of this despite
the deep financial cuts it had to make because of declining financial
support from Western and Ukrainian donors and sponsors. The Journal
and Publishing House does not receive any financial support from the
Ukrainian government (as do intellectual publications in West European
countries) and has to rely solely on sales of books, journal
subscriptions, and international support.

KRYTYKA is one of the very few high-quality publications in Ukraine
that has survived the economic crisis and still continues to function.
The Kyiv office had to take some difficult measures in reducing the
number of technical and editorial staff in order to continue to exist.
One of the drawbacks of such changes are occasional delays with book
and journal publications – a compromise we are painfully aware of.

Nonetheless, KRYTYKA exists and offers the best in intellectual
discourse, in social, cultural and political analysis that Ukraine has
to offer. It certainly deserves your support.

While we gladly accept donations, your best support is a subscription
for yourself or your friends to the Journal KRYTYKA, and your purchase
of our books. If you would like to subscribe to the Journal starting
with any month, or if you would like to order our books, please do not
hesitate to contact us. We will be happy to provide you with all the
necessary information regarding payment and shipping.

If you would like to make a donation, please indicate whether you
would like to support our operational expenses or a particular project
(new website, English edition, Holodomor series, etc.) Please find
contact information at the end of this E-Mail.

KRYTYKA is working hard to become the more dynamic, competitive,
reliable, and self-sufficient enterprise you want us to be. But we
cannot do it without you, our supporters.

Things you can do to support KRYTYKA are simple and won't take too
much of your time:

- subscribe to the Journal KRYTYKA and buy our high-quality publications

- recommend KRYTYKA to your friends and family

- if you are a faculty member, send a request to your University
Library for an institutional subscription (at this point we only have
a handful of them)

- become a KRYTYKA representative in your region or country - we will
be happy to work with one and all who can help us increase our reach
through sales of journal issues or books, and journal subscriptions.

If you have any questions, please contact us at the E-Mail address
below.

Many thanks for being such wonderful readers and supportive friends of
KRYTYKA - a truly unique undertaking in Ukraine worth your active
support!

Very best,

Oleh Kotsyuba

- Editor of the Web Project, www.krytyka.com

- KRYTYKA Representative in the United States

kotsyuba at krytyka.com

KRYTYKA

Ukrainian Research Institute, Harvard University

34 Kirkland St.

Cambridge, MA 02138

USA