barrier to tenderness

anne marie devlin anne_mariedevlin at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Dec 1 11:23:39 UTC 2012

the Duchess in Alice in Wonderland always comes to mind - speak roughly to your little boy and beat him when he sneezes, he only does it to annoy because he knows it teases. But to return to Alina's comment that neither children should be seen ... nor 'black pedagogy' are Soviet/Russian constructs that is precisely the point I intended making.  I imagine that deriving children of tenderness was a more global phenomenon particular to a time rather than a place.  It was certainly the case here in Ireland where many children in any form of state/church care up to the late 1980's were subjected to systematic psychological, physical and sexual abuse.  It has been proven that the abuse was sanctioned and approved of by both church and state and tacitly by society as a whole. However, it concerns me , that whenever social issues surrounding Russia and the former Soviet states come up, it is always negative.  From personal experience of working in Russian schools and choosing to send my daughter to Russian detskii sad and then onto school, I can say that she and the rest of her class were treated with great warmth and cre. AM