Soft-n adjectives in Russian

Jules Levin ameliede at EARTHLINK.NET
Wed Dec 5 17:49:02 UTC 2012

On 12/5/2012 7:19 AM, Richard Robin wrote:
> *Hello, SEELANGS linguists!
>
> This is pure curiosity — probably something they taught me in grad
> school when I wasn’t paying attention. With the exception of последний
> and синий, all of the soft-н adjectives that I can think of are either
> are formed from basic spacial words (верхний, средний, нижний,
> передний, задний, дальний, ближний) and from the temporal adverbs
> formed from instrumentals — like утренний and летний. But why? It’s
> rather rare in Russian (and I assume in the other Slavic languages)
> for purely semantic categories to influence morphology. Why does it
> appear to be happening here? And if semantics is the motivating
> factor, then how to we explain синий? (I suppose последний could be
> viewed spacially.) Any ideas?*

Well, in Lithuanian both types are motivated: -inis, -inas...
No one can truly understand what is going on in Slavic without taking a
look at the Baltic languages, especially of course Lithuanian.  But I
would dispute your claim that purely semantic categories do not
influence morphology.  Note the whole series of possessive adjs derived
from animals: volchiy, sobachiy, sviniy, etc.  (One of many examples...)
Jules Levin
Los Angeles