Soft-n adjectives in Russian

Robert Channon channon at PURDUE.EDU
Wed Dec 5 20:46:48 UTC 2012

*And if semantics is the motivating factor, then how to we explain синий?*

All the other n' adjectives (other than синий and the possessives in -j-)
have *the suffix n'*, whereas in синий the n' belongs to the root and there
is no suffix.  That's the way in which синий stands apart from the other n'
adjectives, not because of semantics.  (*Morphology to the rescue!*)  And
then there is a very small number (count 'em on one hand) of other
unsuffixed soft adjectives that have some other consonant at the end of the
stem.  Синий really goes with them, and not with the suffixed ones
originally mentioned; it's just an accident that the root of синий ends in
n' that is like the suffix.

The possessives in -j- (бараний, вороний, etc.) stand apart not only
because they have a different suffix, but also because they have a
different declension, not the "canonical" soft adjective declension.  So
they are really "faux soft-n adjectives".

Also, morphemes carry meaning, so I agree that it's not surprising that a
suffix has a semantic meaning along with a grammatical one (even if only in
most if not all words), and there are plenty of instances of that in
Russian and other languages.  There are also some instances of the soft-n
suffix which don't seem to carry the "expected" meaning: искренний,
сыновний, мужний/замужний, пустопорожний, and a few others.