UNSUBSCRIBE!

Dorian Singh dorian.singh at SANT.OX.AC.UK
Wed Dec 5 20:36:40 UTC 2012

Dorian Singh
European Studies Centre
University of Oxford

St. Antony's College
62 Woodstock Road
OX2 6JF
UK
Mobile: +44 (0) 7929534010

From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of Paul B. Gallagher [paulbg at PBG-TRANSLATIONS.COM]
Sent: 05 December 2012 20:19
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Soft-n adjectives in Russian

John Dingley wrote:

> The softness of карий is a bit of a mystery. As far as I can see, it
> is the only n-less soft adjective and, to muddy the waters, it was
> usually hard in Old Russian.

There are plenty of soft adjectives in -чий, generally (all?) old East
Slavic participles corresponding to South Slavic -щий: горячий, сыпучий,
etc. These decline according to the soft pattern even though there's no
contrasting hard consonant: горячего, о горячем.

And of course the whole velar class, which were originally hard but are
now nondistinctively soft in forms where -ы- has been replaced by -и-.
These decline according to the hard pattern (тихого, о тихом), so I
wouldn't really count these as "soft."

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com