a quick question about gift wrap in Russia

Andrea Gregovich agregovich at GMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 13 22:36:26 UTC 2012

Hello Colleagues,

I'm hoping someone can help me with a small translation detail I don't want
to botch.  In a story, an old lady decorates her walls with, among other
things, "чьи-то подарки в пакетах."  From discussions with the author,
I'm clear
that this is essentially gift wrap from presents people have given her, but
I was unable to explain to him my dilemma... are these "gift bags" or "wrapping
paper"?  A "пакет" usually seems like it's a bag or container of some sort,
but I can see how it might fit as a description of regular wrapping paper.  I
confess I don't know anything about Russian gift wrapping habits in
the eighties,
which is when this story seems to be set.

Thanks for your help in clearing this up!

Best,

Andrea Gregovich