Kundera and Nabokov quotes

Danko Sipka danko.sipka at ASU.EDU
Sat Dec 29 23:25:14 UTC 2012

Dear Seelangers,

I already have my responses. Many thanks to Jan Culik, Geoff Cebula, Martin Votruba, Sergey Karpukhin, and Alina Israeli who responded off-line (in that order).

Best,

Danko

Danko Sipka
Titular Professor in the Republic of Poland
Professor of Slavic Languages and Applied Linguistics
Coordinator of Slavic Languages and Cultures
SILC, Arizona State University
http://www.public.asu.edu/~dsipka
Editor, Journal of the NCOLCTL
http://www.ncolctl.org/resources-links/jncolctl-links

From: Danko Sipka
Sent: Saturday, December 29, 2012 2:38 PM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: [SEELANGS] Kundera and Nabokov quotes

Dear Seelangers,

I am looking for full bibliographic information of the following two quotes:

1. Lítost je trýznivý stav probuzený pohledem na náhle odkrytou vlastní ubohost. (this is from Kundera’s Kniha smíchu a zapomnění part 5 titled Lítost several paragraphs down from the beginning – I need the edition and page information, I have an electronic book without pages numbered).

2. No single word in English renders all the shades of toska. At its deepest and most painful, it is a sensation of great spiritual anguish, often without any specific cause. At less morbid levels it is a dull ache of the soul, a longing with nothing to long for, a sick pining, a vague restlessness, mental throes, yearning. In particular cases it may be the desire for somebody of something specific, nostalgia, love-sickness. At the lowest level it grades into ennui, boredom. – this quote is attributed to Nabokov, but I was unable to find the exact source. If the original is in Russian rather than in English, I would also need the Russian text.

I would be much obliged for off-line responses to: Danko.Sipka at asu.edu.

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Use your web browser to search the archives, control your subscription options, and more. Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface at: http://seelangs.home.comcast.net/ -------------------------------------------------------------------------