SEELANGS Digest - 9 Jun 2012 to 10 Jun 2012 - Special issue (#2012-204)

Yokoyama, Olga olga at HUMNET.UCLA.EDU
Sun Jun 10 23:18:37 UTC 2012

For an earlier period: Korolenko's story "Bez jazyka".

Olga T. Yokoyama
Professor
Department of Applied Linguistics
University of California, Los Angeles
Tel. (310) 825-7694
Fax (310) 206-4118
http://www.appling.ucla.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [mailto:SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of SEELANGS automatic digest system
Sent: Sunday, June 10, 2012 9:42 AM
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: SEELANGS Digest - 9 Jun 2012 to 10 Jun 2012 - Special issue (#2012-204)

Topics in this special issue:

  1. Histories, memoirs, autobiography, fiction or film about the Soviet war in
     Afghanistan?
  2. Russian Emigrant Culture in North America (6)

Date:    Sun, 10 Jun 2012 17:17:50 +0300
From:    William Kerr <wdk.ist at GMAIL.COM>
Subject: Re: Histories, memoirs, autobiography, fiction or film about the Soviet war in Afghanistan?

Hello, Nicole ...

Your student would, I am sure, benefit greatly from the book  "Afgantsy:
The Russians in Afghanistan, 1979-89", written by the former British
Ambassador in the USSR, Sir Rodric Braithwaite ..... the beauty of this
work is that it offers very fascinating views into Soviet society during
the Afghan conflict, while at the same time dissects in some detail the war
and the Soviet presence in Afghanistan as seen primarily from the Russian
viewpoint.

Best,

William Kerr
ELC -  Koc Universitesi,