Call for participants - AATSEEL 2013, Boston, roundtable on Cultures and Languages Across the Curriculum (CLAC)

E Elliott eelliott55 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jun 27 18:35:20 UTC 2012

Dear Colleagues,

We are seeking interested participants for a roundtable on Cultures and
Languages Across the Curriculum (CLAC) for AATSEEL 2013 in Boston.

In a nutshell, CLAC practices have as a goal to realize global competence
for students, for example, by:

- developing meaningful content-focused language use outside of traditional
language classes (such as, history, political science, economics,
anthropology, etc.);
- focusing on communication and content;
- creating frameworks to build connections between comparative literatures,
cultural studies, and area studies;
- creating content-based language instruction and foreign language
textbooks as well as discipline-specific learning materials, technology,
etc.
- including programs focused on professional studies in study abroad;
-including service learning models in cross-cultural contexts;

and others.

If you are interested in participating, please contact me at:

 eelliott at northwestern.edu

 The deadline for submissions is 1 July, but we wish to submit by late Fri.
29 June.

Sincerely,
Elisabeth Elliott (roundtable organizer)

and on behalf of:
Jonathan Ludwig, Rice, (roundtable chair)
Andrea Lanoux, Connecticut College (roundtable presenter)
Irina Shchemeleva, Higher School of Economics, St. Petersburg, Russia
(roundtable presenter)

____________________________________
Elisabeth Elliott, Ph.D.
Director of Slavic Languages
Director of Undergraduate Studies (DUS) in Slavic
Council on Language Instruction, Co-Chair
Department of Slavic Langs & Lits
1860 Campus Drive
Crowe Hall, #4-125 (4th floor of Crowe)
Northwestern University