No subject

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Thu Mar 21 11:28:19 UTC 2013

I don't think "niggardly" has gone anywhere in UK English. On the day
after the Chancellor's annual budget it is in fairly free use in the
press. As far as I know it hasn't outraged any politically correct folk
etymologists here yet. Try "to scotch" or "to welsh" in Parliament,
however, and you will be immediately rebuked. For reversal of meaning in
Russian, zdorovo izbit' would be a good example.

On 21/03/2013 04:13, Robert Orr wrote:... Maybe жадны, etc., will go the
way of “niggardly” in English