Slavic language trees

Robert Orr colkitto at ROGERS.COM
Mon Jul 7 13:18:46 UTC 2014

Would you be interested in more theoretical discussions of trees, and would (at least some people on) the list be interested?

This is particularly interesting for Slavists, in that Shevelov, in A Prehistory of Slavic (1964:611-612),  suggested an excellent alternative metaphor:

The disintegration of Common Slavic did not resemble the growth of a tree [...] Nor can this disintegration be grasped in the traditional metaphor of waves spreading one after another.  If a metaphor is appropriate, the most suitable would be the image of clouds in the sky on a stormy day, with their constant changes in shape, their building-up, overlapping, merging, separating, and their ability to vanish in an instant."

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf Of Jelena Golubovic
Sent: Monday, July 07, 2014 7:14 AM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: [SEELANGS] Slavic language trees

Dear colleagues,

For a project I am doing, I need language trees for Slavic languages from as many credible sources as possible. I compiled one using the information from Sussex and Cubberley (2006) and Ethnologue, but I could really use as much information as possible. Since this is not really my field, could anyone point me to good resources for this?

Thank you in advance,

Jelena Golubovic