Chekhov's "Glupyi frantsuz" in English

Marina Potoplyak marina.potoplyak at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jul 22 21:26:18 UTC 2014

Dear all,

Many thanks for all the suggestions!  However, "Na chuzhbine" is a
completely different story (on a similar topic) than "Glupyi frantsuz."  I
will look at the full collection of Chekhov stories in English or just use
"Na chuzhbine."

Thanks a lot,

Marina

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 3:37 PM, Irina Dolgova <irina.dolgova at yale.edu>
wrote:

> Dear Marina,
>
> The story's original title is "Na chuzhbine". There is a couple of plays
> based on this story. You can easily find them on the internet.
>
> My best,
> Irina Dolgova
>

> On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 4:36 PM, Irina Dolgova <irina.dolgova at yale.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> Dear Marina,
>>
>> The story's original title is "Na chuzhbine". There are a couple of plays
>> based on this story. You can easily find them on the internet.
>>
>> My best,
>> Irina Dolgova
>>

>> On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 4:17 PM, Veronika Tuckerova <
>> 0000000c58da89a3-dmarc-request at listserv.ua.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Marina,
>>> don't despair and just do your own translation!
>>> Greetings,
>>> Veronika
>>>

>>>   On Tuesday, 22 July 2014, 16:10, Marina Potoplyak <
>>> marina.potoplyak at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>>>

>>> Dear colleagues,
>>>
>>> I am looking for an English translation of Chekhov's short story "Glupyi
>>> frantsuz" (1886).  So far I have not been able to find it.  It was
>>> considered a "minor" story even by the author, so my fear is that it has
>>> never been translated into English.  Any help locating the story in English
>>> (if it exists) would be much appreciated!
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Marina Potoplyak

>>> options, and more. Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface at:
>>> http://seelangs.wix.com/seelangs
> http://seelangs.wix.com/seelangs

Marina Potoplyak, Ph.D.
Lecturer, Department of Slavic and Eurasian Studies
The University of Texas at Austin

E-mail: marina.potoplyak at gmail.com
Phone: 512.554.4512

                        http://seelangs.wix.com/seelangs