Anglicizing onomatopoeia

Brian Droitcour bad280 at NYU.EDU
Wed Mar 12 17:08:11 UTC 2014

Hello,

Yelena Kalinsky and I are translating a collection of poetry by Andrei Monastyrski. His "Elementary Poetry No. 1" contains two "sonories," sections comprised of variations on nonsense syllables. They seem onomatopoeic, and we'd like to find  English approximations, so I'm writing to see if anyone has ideas about what sounds the syllables evoke for Russian speakers.  I've pasted excerpts below. Thanks for your suggestions!

tuk-turu-tuk!
tiuk-tiuriuk!
tuk-turu-tuk!
tiuk-tiuriuk!