Please distribute: UVa Summer Language Institute in Russian

Anna Kromin ask4mm at VIRGINIA.EDU
Tue Mar 18 00:05:52 UTC 2014

Dear all,

Please see the message below and distribute to your colleagues and
interested students. Thank you so much!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Viktoria Vutova <vvv2rp at virginia.edu>
Date: Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 6:03 PM
Subject: UVa Summer Language Institute in Russian

Dear all,

I would like to present you with the wonderful opportunity to attend the
UVa Summer Language Institute in Russian.

Russian is again emerging (after a lull in the last decade of the twentieth
century) as a language of importance in the arena of international politics
and business/commerce. It has never ceased to be such a language in the
world of literature and culture. At the Russian Summer Language Institute,
we'll cover all of the fundamentals of grammar necessary to meet the
demands of language use and communication in everyday life, which include
conversing (speaking and listening) and reading, the latter being essential
for newspapers, completion of forms, etc.  We'll also introduce you to
Russian history and culture (music, literature, film) and pop culture.

We describe our program as *intensive* and *accelerated*. We use a
well-established communicatively oriented textbook (GOLOSA) supplemented,
in the last two weeks, by instructor material which presents more advanced
grammatical information relevant to all, but primarily to those who wish to
use Russian in scholarly pursuits (reading original texts). With regard to
the presentation of material, we divide the day into two parts: morning,
which focuses on grammar, reading, and listening; and afternoon, which
focuses on speaking and writing, with continued attention to grammar and
listening. Students are expected to participate actively in both the
morning and afternoon sessions, which both involve board and group work.
Our over-arching goal is to put the language to use.

You can get more information about the SLI in Russian and fill out the
online application at http://www.virginia.edu/summer/SLI/russian/

If you have any questions or concerns feel free to contact me (
vvv2rp at virginia.edu) or Prof. Mark Elson (mje at Virginia.EDU)

Vicky Vutova

--
Best regards,