etymology

Jules Levin ameliede at EARTHLINK.NET
Mon Mar 31 21:36:42 UTC 2014

On 31.03.2014 12:36, John Dingley wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Can someone enlighten me as to the etymology of the
> Russian family name Путин? Presumably one does not

I am doing this without checking, so I probably will embarrass myself,
but I have assumed that Rasputin
is connected to the root 'put-' meaning 'hobbles'--what is put on horses
to keep them from running away.
I have the vague impression that *puta wd be a pluralia tantum of a
neuter, and Rasputin wd be literally 'unhobbled, freed'
Perhaps the same root is in Putin.
With much hesitation,
Jules Levin