Indian perfume set.

Kathleen Shea kdshea at ku.edu
Sun Oct 26 01:35:11 UTC 2003

I didn't know where to jump into this conversation.  Just to get a cultural
background from a Ponca perspective on "Indian perfume," I checked by phone
with my main consultant, Uncle Parrish Williams.  He called it
i'nubdhaN'khidhe (with ' indicating that the preceding syllable is accented)
'You smell like a man' (his gloss).  Several years ago he had shown me some
that he kept in a handkerchief, and he repeated what he had told me
then--that men would wear the perfume (an amount about the size of a silver
dollar in a handkerchief in the pocket or elsewhere) as a deodorant.
Sometimes it was used to attract women, but it could also be used every day
and could be smelled about 10 feet away from a dancer who was wearing it.
He said that there are four kinds of Indian perfume but only three are used.
(The kind that isn't used is called nuga' 'male.')  The three that are used
vary from mild in fragrance with a smell like an orange peeling, a stronger
smelling type, and a third that smells really strong.  The second type of
plant, with the smell of middle strength is the one preferred.  He says that
all the plants look alike, with purple flowers and leaves that are really
green.  They grow in clumps about two feet tall, except the very stong
smelling one, which is small and grows only about 4-5" high.  They can be
replanted, but they won't propagate and will quit growing if someone keeps
picking them.  Uncle Parrish says that that's the reason that he would
always keep three different plants going in the wild and would keep the
knowledge of their whereabouts to himself, so that no one would over-harvest
them.  Most of the time, he would just use the leaves and not the flowers;
the flowers can be used, but the seeds from the flowers are needed for new
growth.  Other people have told me that Indian perfume is hard to find and
that you will usually smell it before you see it.

Another of my consultants, Grandma Edna Hinman, sadly now dhiNge' ('gone'),
told me that women would put the Indian perfume in their mouth and blow it
on a shawl to perfume the shawl.  Uncle Parrish confirms this and says that
the women would chew the leaves (about 1/2 teaspoon) and just use their
saliva for the liquid with which to spray the shawl.

About the near non-existence of the word ppi 'good' in Ponca, I have a few
thoughts about what might be some fossilized instances of it in certain
words.  One is a word for 'to love,' ppi/dhe (with the slash here to show
where the person markers can attach), so that 'I love you' is ppiwidhe.
Uncle Parrish describes this as "puppy love," and LaFlesche's Osage
dictionary lists it as 'the love of a woman for a man or boy.'  Another
remnant of ppi might be seen in ppiduba 'some more' (duba 'more'), as in,
MakkaN sabe ppiduba akkigdhize ttiNkhe, 'I'm going to get myself some more
coffee.'  I'm sure there must be some more instances of ppi....

Kathy