Volkswagen acquires the Hochank language

Kathleen Shea kdshea at ku.edu
Sun Oct 26 02:37:31 UTC 2003

I think that we all have our built-in biases and that learning to function
within another culture can often be an uncomfortable process, even though
it's ultimately worthwhile and rewarding.  Often we don't learn without
making mistakes and stepping on someone's toes, and it seems that growth
doesn't occur without some struggle and overcoming obstacles.  I don't know
if Pat is Hocank or has ever tried to work within a community on language
maintenance, but it can be a humbling experience.  Often there are many
seemingly more immediate problems to be overcome, hindered in their solution
by many political and economic limitations.  Every community is different,
and a "one-size-fits-all" approach doesn't work.  Sure, it would be great if
languages could be passed down as they traditionally have been, orally, from
parent to child, but what do you do if the speakers are all
great-grandparents of not-very-good health, even if a preschool exists?
What do you do if a federally funded program that helps parents with young
children get their GED's (i.e., Even Start) won't let the parents or
children learn their ancestral language as part of the program?  And so
on....  A grassroots effort is definitely needed, with people in the
community aware enough of the need to be behind it, and it takes more than
just one person--if that's what the community wants.  The logistics can be
daunting.  I don't think any of us academic "experts" know what works best
when it comes to passing on a language, other than the tried-and-true
traditional way, but I would think that the more approaches used the better.
I do agree with Pat, though, that linguists would do well to inspire by
example and at least aspire to speak the language they are studying.  (I
believe it was Durbin Feeling at a sovereignty conference in Tulsa several
years ago who first encouraged me to do this.)

Kathy Shea