butterfly

Kathleen Shea kdshea at ku.edu
Wed Oct 29 02:21:55 UTC 2003

Oops!  I'm still mixing Net Siouan with the practical Ponca orthography.
'Hummingbird' is /wac^c^i'ninikka waz^iN'ga/.  I know that no one thinks
there's an aspirated voiced dental fricative in Ponca!  However, the word
for 'butterfly,' /wac^c^i'ninikka/, compared to /wac^hi'gaag^e/ 'to dance,'
does exemplify the phonemic contrast between /c^c^/ and /c^h/ in Ponca.

Kathy