butterfly

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Wed Oct 29 22:57:51 UTC 2003

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003, Koontz John E wrote:
> 'Woman' is probably historically *wiNh-, but the first question is whether
> and how mikkahe inflects.  My recollection is that gahe alone behaves like
> a ga-instrumental form - aahe, dhaahe, gaha=i, aNgaha=i.  With the
> instrumental locative it should yield i'dhagahe, idha'gahe, i'gaha=i,
> aNdhaNgaha=i.

Sorry - these are first, second, third, and inclusive forms.  I got the
accentuation of igahe reversed in the first and second person.  It should
be idha'gahe 'I combed with it', i'dhagahe 'you combed with it', ...

If we regard initial accent as conditioned by length, I suppose that works
out to idha'gahe, ii'dhagahe, ... or possibly iidha'gahe, ii'dhagahe, ...