Florida: Calling All Deaf Advocates!

Dan Parvaz dparvaz at MAC.COM
Thu Feb 19 21:33:50 UTC 2004

> "This question of ASL is brought up every several years," said Faculty
> Senate President Mike Mullens. "However, American Sign Language is not
> in the spirit of what the faculty considers being a foreign language."

Ooh. So another test case is needed: Cherokee! And then we can decide
whether it is English or Cherokee that qualifies as a foreign language
on this-here continent. :-)

> This month's renewed debate of ASL does not question its existence as
> a separate language, but its application in a globalized world, said
> Barsch.

Ah, yes. Business. Which pretty much explains the global importance of
Latin, which *is* accepted at UCF. And why students who have to take
the TOEFL (I assume that would include native speakers of non-foreign,
non-English languages) have the foreign language requirement waived
altogether.

Tangential question: how many of the adjunct ASL faculty at UCF have
terminal degrees from accredited institutions? It sounds petty, but it
is a potential factor.

-Dan.