Research on Signed/Spoken Language Code switching

Fischer Susan susan.fischer at rit.edu
Tue Sep 4 16:19:30 UTC 2007

Mark brings up an important consideration,  English hegemony.  An
additional issue arises when one is working on a language that
doesn't use an alphabet, be it Roman or Cyrillic.  In recent years
while working on the sign language of Japan, I've been referring to
it as NS, for NihonSyuwa, following the request of a deaf Japanese
linguist.  Unfortunately, I had previously referred to it in print as
JSL, as have a number of other scholars.  Furthermore, according to
my correspondence with other scholars in Asia, the sign languages of
Taiwan, China, and Korea are referred to in English respectively as
TSL, CSL, and KSL.  I think a case can be made for using these
abbreviations, as well as JSL, due to the fact that the surrounding
spoken languages don't use an alphabet (Korean does use a kind of
syllabary),  Japanese, for example, would use 日本手話, which some
people on this list probably can't even see, and which can't really
be straightforwardly abbreviated in Roman letters.