Composing Signs

Tue Dec 10 02:53:37 UTC 2002

SignWriting List
December 9, 2002

Dan Parvaz wrote:
>(2) I want to compose a new sign and insert in the dictionary. Is there
>any way to handle the complete writing of the sign from within the
>program?

Hi Everyone and Dan -
Not at this time. But we are working on it! I am designing a way to type SignWriting directly inside SignBank. It will be a "window" for SignWriter Java inside SignBank, that will give you full SignWriter features, while you are in SignBank. That will be SignBank 2004.

In SignBank 2002, we must type the signs outside of SignBank, in SignWriter, or in another graphics program, create a GIF or JPEG, and then paste that into SignBank. Once SignBank is filled with signs, it provides a wonderful tool.

There is only one other way to get signs....and that is to use our Archives that stores all the signs as separate GIFs....those Gifs are embedded into SignBank, but if you need them separately, you can access the Archives which is becoming rather large -

By the way, Dan, did you know that we are designing a database to be published on the web in the Spring? People will be able to visit our SignBank web site to access the online SignBank to find signs etc....

I am glad to see you are using SignBank, Dan. The teachers at the Albuquerque Public Schools now have the program on their computer, but I doubt if anyone has had time to try it yet...we need more signs, so the year 2003 will be our year to build a big database...