DeafWay

Judy A. Kegl kegl at MAINE.RR.COM
Thu Jul 18 14:58:59 UTC 2002

Barney Vega and I attracted a good audience for our SignWriting poster at
the DeafWay II Convention in Washington last week.  (Claudia Avila from
Condega gave a presentation on education in rural Nicaragua, but her tallk
was cut from 45 minutes to a mere 13, and packed with six other presenters
similarly constrained -- with no questions permitted -- so this was an abuse
of everyone's energy and time.)  In future, it's poster sessions for me
everytime!

We looked for Charles Butler, but never met...too bad, really.  Charles,
were you there??

You know, folks at some sessions were lamenting that ASL literature will be
lost to future generations because videotapes decay.  I sit there bemused
when I hear this.  Here is a radical concept:  how about WRITING THE
LITERATURE!!!

In science and academia, new ideas are denounced as impractical and absurd,
then years later are accepted as obvious truths.

-- James Shepard-Kegl