Parameters of Signs and SW

Flavio Medina flaviomedina at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jul 4 04:03:41 UTC 2002

Hello everyone.

It's been quite a long time this list has become
quiet... I guess we all miss Val, but it's good that
she can devote herself to Signbank.

I have some questions, and would like to know if
anyone knows how to reply them.

I read some papers about sign languages (including "A
Linguistic Comparison", from signwriting.org) that
state that sign languages are composed of five basic
parameters:
1) Handshape
2) Location
3) Movement
4) Orientation
5) NMGS - Non-manual Gramatical Signals

I'd like to know where the symbols for touching,
brushing, etc. (contact) fall into. And what about the
signs for interaction with hair and cloth - are those
also NMGS?

Thanks, hope to see many opinions!

Flavio Ricardo (Rikki) Oliveira