hoerah!! /mouth patterns

Stefan Woehrmann2 stefanwoehrmann at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Jul 24 23:29:41 UTC 2002

Hello Maria and friends ,

well - as I mentioned several times ago  - I created a set of mouth-patterns that go along with mouthing while the person is signing.

In fact I invented a completely new system - called "Mundbildschrift" but this is different from what is needed for transcribing SL . Nevertheless there is a link between both systems-

The mouthpatterns of the Mundbildschrift allow DEAF children to develop kind of phonetic associations of spoken words - (!!!! ) They get familiar with these symbols during our articulation process and it is amazing that already very young children (3 years old) seem to be able to understand the idea of reading and writing "soundproduction" that may lead to sensefull comunication ... Every mouthpattern stands for a individual vocal - sound-production  -
You will finde lots of examples on my homepage www.gebaerdenschrift.de
This way my little Deaf students are able to read Endlish, Turkish or even Russian words and sentences - it is fun - but behind the whole idea is a serious interest to support them in developing a huge amount of new German words within a reasonable time ... We are still suffering from a lack of communication during the first six years of their lives

The discussion about the difficulties and problems with lipreading shows that there are too many problems involved ..
My symbol set for mouthpatterns concentrates on what you can see - or rather exspect if you know about the German words that go along with the signing
Therefore you cannot distinguish between B or P  and F and W  and so forth..

This is the reason that a transcription from a foreigner who is not familiar with spoken German  would  have a hard time to write SW documents that could be understood from German readers ;-((((
I did not know that unless I worked very intense with my 9th grade students - We read GebaerdenSchrift-documents on a daily basis.

I guess that I am still the only one around who exspects his students to be able to translate long texts - up to 20 pages into spoken German Language . I wrote most of these texts in signed German and we use SW (GebaerdenSchrift) in order to create bilingual materials in order to improve literacy --

>>From my point of view it would be easy to understand a lot of single written signs without any facial expressions - but within long documents, transcriptions of interviews or storytelling - there is no chance to understand the exact terms if you would not add typical mouthpatterns that stand for typical articulatory movements --which are performed by the signer himself ...

Of course I would be able to write complete mouthing patterns - but that is not necessary - In most cases it is enough to just pick one out of the whole pattern - with the support of this facial expression you can read the SW-documents fluently at high speed. I prefer to rather repeat the facial expressions instead of using any additional lines or brackets ....

I am still interested to learn to write a couple of typical mouthgestures that are not connected with spoken language- and who knows - once the gigantic SignBank project is done we will get the chance to return to spelling issues .

I am very very busy to create lots of teaching materials for the coming GebaerdenSchrift-workshops , University presentations  and for my wonderfull students -

attached - students 7/8 years old writing "Mundbilder " at th blackboard -
All the very best

Stefan ;-))